20 September 2009

York Beer & Cider Festival


Today was my first full day in York. Fortunately, my time in the North coincides with the York Food and Drink Festival. This weekend CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) held a gathering at the racecourse. A serious crowd gathered around the grounds and inside the tents to taste beers and ciders from all over Britain.


My samplings from this afternoon from Yorkshire outfits included Ryedale Best by Cropton brewery, Sabbatic Ale from Great Heck, and Muston Scarecrow made by East Coast Brewing Co. in Filey. Another personal highlight was the Copy Lane Stout offered by Stables in County Durham. Plus, the festival featured a choice handful of food vendors to explore.


The three words every man longs to hear, "Fresh Pork Scratchings."

Then, up from among the carnival rides next door came six hot-air balloons in time for a sunset voyage.

Another high-flying venture from Sir Richard Branson.

Hard to beat.

2 comments:

Cynical Idealist said...

I need a better life and more warning. Beer and Cider Festival? I would so have been there and gotten my liver into shape.

Passenger J said...

In Britain one is never more than three weekends and a train ride from a beer festival. Your only problem would be...getting out of America. Act now! Pork pies are running out fast! Well, the country can probably restock once I go back to Singapore.